It All Started with Tears

  ​I figured we’d start things off with the story of what inspired me to start blogging in the first place. The year was 2020 and I was headed home from work in an Uber. The driver had the song “Head Over Heels” by Tears for Fears playing on the radio. I remember pulling out my phone and Shazamming it and from that moment on it became a song I never worked or hardly did anything without. It was that absolute iconic piano riff that it opens with that first drew me in, which I recently learned was done by a fellow from Bristol by the name of Andrew Cresswell-Davis. That song was the start of something big. Little did I know that song would completely change my taste in music and inspire me to see them live, which inspired me to get more into them. I mean I literally needed to know everything those guys have ever done or even worked on after that. They were more impressive live than they were through my earbuds. 

  The night I saw them live wasn’t just the first concert I’ve ever gone to   The night I saw them live wasn’t just the first concert I’ve ever gone to solo, but it was also where I bought my first vinyl but, it was also where I bought my first vinyl. I ended up buying the first album they’d released since their 2004 album “Everybody Loves a Happy Ending” which, was titled “The Tipping Point” and came in the color pink almost as if I was just meant to have it. I ended up leaving home with much more than I planned to especially, since the lady that was sitting behind me gave me her VIP bag. Something I'll forever cherish and be grateful for. I joined a few fan groups after then before eventually deciding to start my own, which is how and why I have many of the friends I do now.  

  I can definitely say everything does happen for a reason because, if it hadn't been for that night I wouldn't know so many incredible musicians and music fans. Life would definitely be much different and maybe even a tad bit more boring. One of the awesome individuals I have met during my journey into the world of music is ex-Graduate member John Baker who has spent over the last two decades since leaving Graduate as a Korgi. For those who don't know and have never heard of Graduate. It just so happens to be the five-piece mod pop band is how Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith first got their kicks before leaving to form what is now one of the greatest and biggest New Wave bands of the 80’s what is now Tears for Fears. 

  Most of my research has been mostly on bands from the UK that started at or around the early 90’s and on back especially, being that I am indeed an Anglophile. Even still I have researched and learned quite a bit about other bands and artists from other countries too, such as as, Coney Hatch and Joe Matera. Coney Hatch is a Canadian rock band and Joe Matera is one of the most underrated Australian guitarists I've ever heard whose worked with John Baker’s current band “The Korgis” who will be mentioned quite a bit here especially, since they and Tears are huge part of my journey into the music World and have had such a huge impact on my taste in music. I owe pretty much everything to both bands. 

  You always hear someone say how a band or a musician has saved their life through music and you never quite understand it until it happens to you. Both Tears for Fears and The Korgis have saved my life numerous times and never fails to be there when it feels like there is nothing is. Music truly is on of the most powerful things on earth and happens to be one of the safest, as well as, healthiest addictions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dolly Parton: We Will Always Love You